Sunday, February 24, 2008

My Realization

I had the wierdest realization this weekend- my husband is a doctor. I know that sounds dumb after all the years of schooling and thousands of dollars of debt you would think that I should know that already. But to me he has always just been Shawn, the husband, father, and best friend. Being just Shawn is no small task and he is amazing at being Shawn, but I have never looked at him as a doctor, maybe just my husband who knows a lot of medicine, but never Dr. Reese-doesn't that mean he is old or something? If someone says Doctor Reese I immediately think of Shawn's dad, who is a pediatrician, but not my husband. (don't worry I am not calling my father-in-law old, rather a young pediatrician who has aged well. I'm just trying to be a good daughter-in-law!).

If Shawn and I ever run into a friend while out shopping or eating or whatever else we do, it is always a friend of mine. We usually never run into any of Shawn's friends-probably because they never leave the hospital-much like himself. After we leave talking with that person Shawn always asks who it was. Well, on Saturday we were shopping and a lady eyed Shawn out and starting hollering "Dr. Reese, Dr. Reese". I was a little surprised, as this never happens to us (but always to Shawn's dad when we are out shopping with him), but it ended up being another doctor that he worked with at the hospital. She couldn't say enough good things about working with Shawn and what an amazing doctor he was, and it was then that I realized, my husband is more than just Shawn. He is an amazing doctor who people rely on and it made me so proud. On Saturday, I was the one who had to ask, "Who was that?"

Also, as for an update on the hive situation. I am taking three different pills every morning, and I think they are finally working. I didn't get hives last night or this morning. So, I guess now I just need to go and see an endocrinologist and get rid of this crazy thyroid of mine that is causing all this havoc in my body. I will have to drink some radioactive iodine that will kill my thyroid. They even say that I should not breath on anybody for a few days after I drink the medicine because it will be radioactive (and I will even have radioactive pee for the few days after). Maybe they should just lock me in a metal room. Just shove a few books in there and I would be so happy for the peace and quiet. Or I should just go hang out with my mom and sister who have already swallowed the posion. Either way, things are getting better!

6 comments:

Kelsie said...

I can't believe that Shawn is already a doctor, I still can remember the day that you got married and it does not feel like that long ago! That is so crazy about your thyroid, dang genetics. I met with an endocrinologist about a month ago, and he predicted that a few years down the road I may have to get my thyroid removed too, but I had no idea that that meant drinking radioactive fluid! Crazy!!

Alifinale said...

That sounds like a realization that would occur to me a little late (I think I was married over a year before I really grasped the concept that I was someone's Mrs). How cool for you to have a real Dr. husband!

And I say you take a little vacation and stay in a hotel when you get your radioactive drug. You deserve the break!

Emily said...

I can see why it would take awhile to come to that realization. Like you said, he's Shawn to you...but DR to people at the hospital. That really is pretty dang cool. I can imagine how hard he works and you are such a supportive and great wife!

And yes, go get radioactive already and fix the thyroid problem. Seriously, such a good excuse to get a vacation and some time to yourself.

Oh, and I was cracking up reading the story about Cole in the store.

Jen Lee said...

OK, so it's not enough to be SuperMom - now you get to be Radioactive Woman, too?

Dave is always so weirded out when he hears someone call me "Mrs. Lee". I got used to it pretty quick, since I started teaching a few months after we got married, but he still thinks it's weird.

Jen Lee said...

And I totally think you should take a vacation and veg while you detox. Or, get toxic. Or whatever it is!

Gretchen said...

Jenn, I love you blog! I'm so jealous at how cute it is. I'm still learning how to add things so mine is just the standard layout and I need to change it (Jenn Wheeler will have to come help me though, I think I'm a "blog tard"). Hey about your thyroid, my younger sister had hers radiated when she was like 25. It was no big deal. If you'd like her email I know she'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. Sorry to hear you've not been feeling well. Hang in there..Mrs. Shawn Reese, MD!