Monday, June 16, 2008

A Child's Prayer


For a long time I couldn't get Ethan to say anything more in a prayer than either "please bless the food, or please help me to sleep good." We talked a lot about why we pray and the different things that we can talk to Heavenly Father about. Finally, just this past week, he has figured it out and now he LOVES saying his prayers and has all kinds of interesting things to say! Here is an example of his prayer tonight:

please bless me to sleep good,
please help me to be happy,
please help me to be a good boy,
thank you for my lovely home,
thank you for my lovely family,
thank you for a lovely Jesus-he is so beautiful,
help me to fight like a Jedi,
help me to eat my spinach and broccoli,
help me to grow big and strong,
help me to listen to my mom,
help me to be nice to Cole,
bless Cole not to hit me,
Amen.

I have no idea where the Lovely comes from, but he seriously says it every night-it is so funny. I guess I am just pretty happy that he finally figured out he can pray about anything and everything-even to fight like a Jedi!

8 comments:

Jamie Reese said...

Jenn,
I love that "help me fight like a Jedi" comes after "thank you for Jesus"...at least we know he has his priorities right!

Alifinale said...

I love kid's prayer's. His sound so sweet, especially that he wants to try to eat spinach and broccoli! Emery thinks prayers are the time to list everything in the room.

Emily said...

Little kid prayers are the cutest...most of the time. Today in class Garrett prayed that I would bring cake to our class next week.

Kara said...

That is so sweet and it sounds like he's really putting some thought into it. I remember one time my little cousin thanked Heavenly Father for cheerleaders. Kids say the cutest things!

Anonymous said...

What a cutie. I especially like the "lovely", Rylee prays all the time for mommy to be nice. I must not be a very nice mommy? What they say is always so interesting!

Cami said...

Ethan is the funniest lil kid! You are so lucky to have that funny gene in your family. By the way, Ethan, you do fight like a Jedi!!

Bringhursts said...

This sounds like my prayers. Except I say, "Please bless me to not hit Todd." "Please bless me to not kill my children." "Please bless me to not burn dinner for the fourth time in a row this week."

I love the Jedi comment. He's pretty dang cute.

Cami said...

My funny memory of you guys is when we were all at the Nielsen's house and Ethan just decided to jump in the pool when nobody was looking. Luckily Super Paul was there to catch him!