Last night all the kids were asleep in bed and Shawn was working so it was nice and quiet. But then I heard some noises coming from the boys bedroom. Upon investigating I found Ethan sitting in the dark playing his Leapster. At first I wanted to get mad and tell him to put the game away and go to bed, but he was so cute sitting there by himself. I just couldn't resist, so I went over and climbed in bed with him and we just talked. Just me and him, no one else, no brother or sister to contend with, or anything to distract me...I was all his. He talked and talked, and we laughed. He asked me when he could get a cell phone, and wanted to know if he could get a motorcycle when he turned 8. He told me about the kid at school that called him a loser. We talked about his upcoming birthday. After all this talking he insisted that he wasn't tired, so we got up and went to play a round of Candy Land. That might sound dumb to play a game with just two people, but Ethan is a pretty sore loser, so two people is just right for him. It was well after 10 before Ethan went to bed and those that know me know that I am a stickler for bedtime. But last night Ethan and I had a moment that I am so grateful for. Here is a quote that I like, "Life gives us brief moments with one another.... but sometimes in those brief moments we get memories that last a lifetime." Last night was one of those memories!


5 comments:
So sweet! Made me kind of tear up!
I probably would have yelled and told him to go to bed!
What a great opportunity, and a good mommy you are! I am afraid I would've also yelled.
Oh that's too cute. Good job recognizing that chance...I'm scared to think that I probably would have gotten mad and insisted that he go to bed! I'll try to remember this when Easton is older! I bet he thinks you're the coolest mom ever.
You are such a good example to me! I probably would have been mad and told him to go to sleep! I'll remember this story and try to take advantage of opportunities like this in the future. Ethan is a lucky kid!
Ok, that was so sweet that I almost cried. You are such a cute mom and I am sure it meant so much to Ethan to have that time with you.
Post a Comment