Thursday, April 3, 2008

Aren't Doctors a pain in the butt?

Well, not my husband of course, but other doctors. This morning I had my endocrinologist appointment. The one that I schedule two months ago, but this was the earliest appointment-it is a good thing that I am not dying. Anyways, I dump Ethan and Cole off to a friends and head to the appointment bright and early this morning. I was there at 8:15 and sat in that same small room form TWO HOURS!!! I am not kidding-it was totally pathetic. Livy was with me and at first she was doing great, but after the first hour she started getting fussy. While I was waiting I had to fill out about 10 pages of info about my health history. As soon as they take me back to the exam room I have to meet with the nurse and he asks me the same questions that I just spend the past half an hour filling out-and he spoke really bad English so it was difficult to understand. Next, I finally see the doctor and she spends the first few minutes asking me the SAME questions. This might not seem like a big deal, but last night the office called to remind me of my appointment, but they said that the doctor might not see me because she didn't have my records from Utah yet. Well, I requested those records about 6 weeks ago so they totally should be there. Finally after many phone calls and a not so happy Jenn (I hate being mean to people on the phone) my records got to the right place. So, I was so mad this morning when they asked me all these questions after they made such a big deal about having my records. Seriously, READ the records-it will save us all a lot of time!!!

Next,the doctor took my pulse and she looks at me and says, "we need to get you on some beta blockers." I am thinking "what the heck are you talking about. I just came here to get my thyroid checked." She continues to tell me that I have tachycardia, which I have never had a problem with my entire life, and that I need these meds. I wanted to say that the reason my heart rate was elevated is because I just spent the past two hours in your crappy waiting room and I am ticked off. Anyway, she continues to lecture me one thing after another regarding my history and she actually didn't believe that I was telling the truth. During this time Liv is crying and I am trying everything to keep her quiet. She wants me to come back twice during the next week for a follow-up appointment (really like that much is changing in one week), and for an ultrasound of my thyroid. Does she have any idea how hard it is to find someone to watch my kids for TWO HOURS while I waste my time in her office??? Finally, the torture is over and I can go home-after I get all the lab work done. Livy and I finally find the lab to get my blood work and the lady informs me that the person drawing blood won't be back for two more hours. By that time I was done, so I took my lap slip and left.

The best part was that when I got home and relayed this message to Shawn he asked for her number. I said, "they will never let you just talk to her." Next, I hear, "Hi, this is Dr. Reese. I need to speak with Dr.******* immediately". I was so impressed. Shawn was ready to tell this lady off, but unfortunately she had already left the office. So he hung up and as he looked at the lab slip on the counter he started laughing. He could not believe the things she was testing me for (osteoporosis and a few other crazy things). He took the lab slip and ripped it up. First she wants to put me on beta blockers and next she is testing me for osteoporosis, when all I want is my thyroid checked! Shawn told me that he would not let me go back to her. I was so relieved-thanks for taking care of me babe!

But really, some doctors do suck! It is so hard when you move to a new place to find good doctors. We had to test out a few pediatricians when we moved to Las Vegas until we found the right one. It is a good thing I know a few good doctors because bad ones really can take advantage of people. Sorry for the long post, but I feel much better now.

13 comments:

Alifinale said...

My blood was boiling just reading about this. You are lucky you have a husband that can watch your back and tell you not to go back to her (I probably would have suffered another time or 2). I hope you have better luck with a new Dr.

Emily said...

Oooh I would have been SO mad! Seriously, lucky to have your husband. I probably would have gone back too just because I wouldn't have wanted to find someone else and go through the whole process again...so frustrating!!!

Jenn said...

This is my pet peeve--bad doctors! How do those guys make it through medical school and residency without being discovered?!? Lucky you've got connections.

Alexis said...

That would make me totally frustrated. I will ask my sister-in-law who she goes to for her thyroid and let you know.

Brooke S. said...

I'm so sorry to hear that story! It really is hard to find someone you like - remember the uckie one I saw for my thyroid in Provo? Yuck. you are mucho lucky that you have a shawn around!

Brett Burbidge said...

Jenn,
That really is miserable. When I first moved here I had problems with my gallbladder, and they gave me the runaround also, with lots of 2 hour waiting in the office experiences. Medical care in Vegas SUCKS!!!!!! I am glad Shawn took care of you. Sorry I wasn't there to help with your kids.

Cassey said...

Yeah, doctors here are sucky.(except Shawn of course.) I think it's sweet Shawn was gonna to chew someone out for you, that almost makes it worth it :)

C Crane said...

I know how you feel. We have seen so many crappy dr. and waited so long, it really stinks! I know how it is to find a sitter too. I would be happy to take your boys anytime!

Bringhursts said...

WHAT!? I just read this to my husband and we are both laughing AND in shock. People give us a hard time for joining the military but I can honestly say their doctors rock and I've never waited longer than 10 minutes in the waiting room. I love that your husband called her up. Osteoporosis? What are you: 90 years old? Come on, stupid doctor, get a clue!

Bangerter family said...

That sounds like a complete nightmare! Seriously! There is nothing worse than that!

Kara said...

Yes, doctors are a pain in the butt, but your husband is not and is so nice. Thanks for the help and advice last night. I really appreciate someone who speaks clear English and acts like they listen and care. Can I move where you guys go eventually so Shawn can be our Dr?

YeatesFam said...

Ughh...I can TOTALLY empathize! I am SOOOO sorry! I wish I could report differently about my endocrinologist here, but I can't. Mike is convinced that they're trying to make up some money by ordering crazy procedures and crap! Sorry...good luck!

Jody said...

Jenn, I am so sorry to hear about your experience at the dr. Good thing you have Shawn around. I get tired of going to the dr. especially when I have to wait forever and then get told something dumb. With me I don't have much say in who I go to as the military tells us where we go. Hope it gets better for you