Sunday, July 13, 2008

St. George Weekend


We just got back from a great little weekend in St. George with family(except for Brooke & Max, who are currently in Amman, Jordan-we missed you guys). Thanks to my great Aunt Marsha and Uncle Ken for letting us crash at their house. It was so nice and relaxing and Shawn actually even got a break from the hospital. We did lots of playing, swimming, eating, and lizard and rabbit hunting (the house sits right on a golf course and the kids would wonder the course and catch critters. They actually caught two lizards and made them a little home).


Despite the fact that we weren't really dressed for hiking with our flip flops and crocs, we decided to try the little "mini" narrows hike in St. George. The beginning started off fine.




But, then it started getting a little crazy. That little skinny opening you can see behind the picture is the narrow opening we hiked through. Ethan and Cole did such a great job and only needed help a few times. I made it the whole way, but was nervous a few times that I would get stuck. I was literally tummy and back smashed against the sides most of the way. None of the big guys could fit so it was only the kids and a few crazy moms! If you are claustrophobic this is definitely not the hike for you.







Below is a picture of my Aunt with Ethan and Cole on a little bridge that we crossed. It was really pretty scary because there were huge cliffs below. Don't worry we did not let go of the kids hands for a second.


This is the vista after crossing the bridge. Beautiful, but a little scary with all the kids!


This is my brother Mike attempting to climb a wall that went straight up with out any ropes or a safety harness. No one got hurt, but I still think it was a pretty stupid idea!




We all survived the hikes and had a good time. After the hike we were all hot and sweaty so we decided it was a good time for swimming. Ethan has turned into such a fish and was pretty much under the water swimming the whole time. Cole just enjoyed the little waterfall!




7 comments:

Christi said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. You are brave with the kids and those drop offs. It looks beautiful.

Emily said...

I'm glad you guys got a fun family vacation. That hike looks awesome. I've never spent any time in St. George and everyone always has fun times and good adventures there. I need to check it out!

sara said...

Glad you got time with Shawn for some vaca--rare but delightful moments these days. :) And it must be the age with the water and all because Sam has become quite fishy herself lately. She almost scares me at times.

Brooke S. said...

oh - I'm so glad you took so many pictures and documented this trip. I missed you guys too. It's funny, but Max and I did almost the same thing this weekend - hiked...and hiked...and hiked. I'll have pictures up soon. We definitely need to plan another thing like this soon. Even if Marsha's place isn't available we should rent some sort of house and meet before Christmas.

Bringhursts said...

I know exactly where that hike is and I can't do it because I'm way too claustrophobic. Even looking at the pictures made me a little sick to my stomach. But I'm glad you guys had a good time! Awesome pics, by the way.

Kara said...

I LOVE St. George! I went to Dixie and we hiked through that "crack" in the rocks all the time! I don't know if I can fit through it anymore- but I love the pictures you took in it! All the pictures are great! It makes me want to go to St. George and take a vacation from Vegas. It's just so much prettier there. Glad you got to enjoy some quality family time.

Sherri said...

It's nice to see Shawn relaxing, there is hope for my hubby after all.