Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Traditions

I love family traditions. The traditions that my family did while I was growing up are some of my fondest memories. Now that my kids are getting a little bigger I am looking forward to starting my own traditions. I started a little small tradition on Monday night for family home evening. Every year at Thanksgiving time we have a family home evening on being thankful and all the things we are thankful for. I had the boys make a list of all the things they were thankful for and I will keep so we can read them at the Thanksgivings to come. I think it might be a fun experience to see how things change over time. Anyway, the boys came up with their own list without any help from Shawn or I. The lists are cute so I thought that I would share them.

Cole: Turkey, Cheese, Hot Dogs, Tacos, Bob the Builder, Lightening McQueen,Dad, Jesus, Family, Food, Bike, and Cars

Ethan: Jesus, School, Boost, DJ, and McQueen, Friends, Home, Daddy, Dog (which we don't have), Sister, Bed, that my daddy can work, all my Lego's, and family.

Shawn: Student Loans, Coke, when Livy is happy, when Ethan listens, when Cole is alive (because he is such a maniac), Jesus, home, family, Mercedes Benz, and Lego's.

Like I said, they came up with those all on their own.

I look forward to each year when we get to think about all the things we are grateful for. I always forget to stop and be grateful and it is nice for this time of year when I get to do that. We have been blessed with so much happiness and love and I am so grateful.

7 comments:

Emily said...

That is SO cute! And a great idea. It's important not to forget the little things. I too am grateful for tacos. And student loans...good one!

Okay, your blog is so cute.

Bangerter family said...

Jenn! I am glad that you found my blog! Look how cute your kids are!! It is good to see what is going on with you!

Alifinale said...

Seriously, I love how festive it is! I love that tradition and want to steal it. It is so good to remember all that we have to be thankful for.

Brooke S. said...

Jenn - what are you grateful for?

Brooke S. said...

Love In The Time of Cholera! I've wanted to read that for a time. How do you like it?

Jen Lee said...

What a fun tradition! Those are so funny. I think Shawn's is the best! Dave is grateful for Porsche - or, at least, he would be if he could own one.

My family has a Christmas tradition that kind of includes Thanksgiving and New Years - at dinner we each light a candle and talk about the things we're grateful for from the past year and the things we hope for in the year to come. I really wish we'd written them down - it would be so fun to be able to look back on the things we remember!

Brooke S. said...

Hey jenn, will you email me a larger family picture? Higher pixel count?